Illinois action blog

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Wrapping up the Summer: Our Social Media Intern's Final Post

Hey Everyone,

My name is Derek, and for the last few months, I've been the Social Media Intern for PPIA.  I am responsible for nearly all the content you've seen over the summer on this blog and on our other social media outlets.  Unfortunately, I'll be wrapping up my time here at Planned Parenthood this week.  Before I finish, though, I wanted to talk a little bit about what it's like to work here and what sorts of intern and volunteer opportunities PPIL offers.


Me, with U.S. Congressional Candidate
Tammy Duckworth
A little about me- I'm a rising junior at the University of Chicago majoring in philosophy and public policy.  I consider myself a feminist, a liberal, a writer, a musician, and a young person curious about the worlds of reproductive rights and online communication.

As the Social Media Intern, I worked closely with both the public policy and communications departments to bring information to our followers about news, events, and health resources.  Not only did my position focus on content creation, but also on exploring the evolving social media environment and considering new and better ways to communicate effectively with our followers, with you.

If these sorts of tasks interest you, then you're in luck: my position gets rehired in the fall.  You can apply for Fall Social Media Intern, along with many other volunteer and internship positions, on our opportunities page.  Other positions range anywhere from Health Center Volunteer to Campus Organizer to Election Intern.  I encourage anyone with an interest in reproductive healthcare to at least check out the opportunities.

Working for Planned Parenthood, in any capacity, is a positive experience.  It's a friendly environment, complete with people of all different knowledge and skill sets.  Though I learned a lot through my job-specific work, I also acquired plenty of expertise concerning non-profits, reproductive rights, and other topics through various meetings and events I was able to  attend. 

Though this is my last post for Planned Parenthood, I encourage you all to keep following our social media outlets; I know I'll want to see what the next blogger has in store.

If you enjoyed reading what I had to say all summer, feel free to leave a comment- I'll be sure to respond.

Thanks for a Great Summer,
Derek

__________________________________________________________________________

This post was created by Planned Parenthood Illinois Action (PPIA). PPIA is an independent, nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization formed as the advocacy and political arm of Planned Parenthood of Illinois (PPIL).

Connect with PPIA on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and YouTube.
Connect with PPIL on Google+ and LinkedIn.
Subscribe to our blog feed.   

Technorati tags: Planned Parenthood

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful of differing opinions and focus your comments on the featured topic or relevant subject matter. Comments that contain profanity, verbal attacks, threatening or inflammatory language are subject to immediate deletion.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

  • Stay informed with updates from the Planned Parenthood Action Fund!