Illinois action blog

Monday, September 28, 2009

Think You Could Be the Next Superstar Intern for Planned Parenthood?

Hello, my name is James. I'm the new E-Organizing intern for Planned Parenthood of Illinois (PPIL). I'm also a full-time student at DePaul University, where I'm pursuing a bachelor's degree in Graphic Design.

When PPIL asked me to become a part of their E-Organizing program, I saw it as a great opportunity to finally work with others on a creative and professional level, and to learn more about issues on reproductive rights and health care. Some of my responsibilities for PPIL include re-organizing the interfaces of their social networking sites, producing computer-based graphics, and incorporating additional interactive content that make it easier for people to access our health services, as well as our volunteer opportunities.

I've been with the organization for about four weeks now and I've enjoyed every minute of it! Contrary to the idea of a stereotypical internship where you might have to make coffee runs and pick up dry cleaning, I spend the majority of my time browsing through PPIL's social networking sites such as MySpace, Twitter, and Facebook to try and find ways to make them both user-friendly and aesthetically pleasing. My work is done primarily in a welcoming office setting, where I have my own cubical and desktop PC. My co-workers are very approachable and willing to accommodate any questions or concerns I have. In such a comforting work space, I'm able to feel more motivated and confident in the work I produce for the organization.

As my internship progresses, I plan to play a more active role in communicating with people on PPIL's social networking sites. By taking part in the creation of more written content, and producing "tweets" and blogs, I think I'll be able to learn even more about Planned Parenthood and their mission. Also, I feel that this experience will help me grow as a visual communicator.

With just about a month remaining, I find it hard to believe that my internship is almost halfway over. It definitely has been an exciting and gratifying experience so far-- from producing basic HTML codes to designing sleek imagery on Photoshop. I will certainly miss those responsibilities when I leave - not to mention, being able to check out all the trendy restaurants located near their office. With that, I'm very excited for all of the upcoming projects and excited to continue to share ideas both in the office and online!

Think you'd like to intern with Planned Parenthood? Check out this link to see what positions are available and follow the simple steps to apply!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful of differing opinions and focus your comments on the featured topic or relevant subject matter. Comments that contain profanity, verbal attacks, threatening or inflammatory language are subject to immediate deletion.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

  • Stay informed with updates from the Planned Parenthood Action Fund!